Helping Seniors Live Healthier, Happier and Longer
Lake Huron Medical Center provides an innovative approach to caring for the health and well-being of our area’s senior population. From providing sophisticated senior care in our Emergency Department to offering a full range of educational and social programs and support groups, seniors can be confident of the expert care they will receive at Lake Huron Medical Center. Click here for the St. Clair County Senior Resource Guide.
For further information, contact us at 810-216-1500
Senior Focused ER
All aspects of your Senior Emergency Department experience are designed with your long-term health and wellness in mind. At Lake Huron Medical Center’s Senior focused ER, we’ve enhanced our geriatric clinical training, enabling our staff to spend more time evaluating your health and medical condition to ensure we’re meeting your total needs.
A team of board certified, specially trained physicians, nurses, pharmacists and other clinical staff complete our Senior focused ER team, the first program in the Blue Water and Thumb communities exclusively dedicated to meeting the needs of patients age 65 and up, their caregivers and family.
Dementia and Alzheimer’s Respite Care Fund: The purpose of this fund is to provide respite or relief, to the primary caregiver of an individual with a diagnosis of dementia. Residents of St. Clair County who are the primary caregiver of an individual with a form of dementia. Please note; this grant is only available to applicants who are not currently receiving charity respite care through other St. Clair County agencies. There are no income requirements for program eligibility.
All of our support services are offered at the main campus of Lake Huron Medical Center.
Classes, Workshops, and Events
Many of our classes, workshops and events are offered to seniors for free or are low cost.
- Healthy Aging: The Healthy Aging Series offers local seniors engaging social opportunities while learning about a variety of topics that help reduce stress, foster healthy relationships, improve safety and promote independence as we age.
- A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls: This eight-week program is designed to reduce at-home fall risk, and increase strength and balance while offering techniques to view falls as controllable.
- Enhanced Fitness: Lake Huron Medical Center and the YMCA of the Blue Water Area are proud to work together to offer Enhance®Fitness, an evidence-based group exercise program for older adults that uses simple, easy-to-learn movements that motivate individuals (particularly those with arthritis) to stay active throughout their life.
Positive changes experienced by participants:
- More energy
- Better balance
- Increases in upper body and lower body strength
- More flexibility and range of motion
- Better sleep
- More feelings of happiness
- Sense of independence
In addition to the physical benefits, research has shown that, among older adults who participate in Enhance®Fitness, health costs were lowered each year by close to $1,000.
Our aim is to help you feel better.
Each class session includes cardiovascular, strength training, balance and flexibility exercises and the fostering of strong social relationships between participants. Enhance®Fitness is geared toward older adults. Those with a chronic condition, such as arthritis, need not worry; they will never have to do anything that hurts. Participants can use chairs for support, if necessary, and increase the weight they use for strength training at their own pace.