Medical Records (H.I.M.)
The Medical Records, or Health Information Management (H.I.M.), department is responsible for maintaining your medical record.
This includes information such as:
- Results of lab tests
- Physician examination reports
- Medical treatment and medications
- Observations by nurses and other members of your health care team
In accordance with Michigan Law 333.20175, Lake Huron Medical Center (LHMC) has a 7-year retention policy for all medical records, with the exception of delivery/birth records, which are kept until the child reaches the age of 20. X-ray films are also kept for seven years.
Requesting Your Medical Record
To obtain a copy of a medical record, submit:
- A completed Authorization to Disclose Health Information Form (download)
- A written request with the patient’s full name at the time of treatment and date of birth
- Identification of specific information to be released
- The name and address of the person to whom records are being released
- The date and signature of the patient or his or her legal representative
Requesting the Record of a Deceased Patient
You may obtain the medical record of a deceased patient by providing one of the following:
- Death Certificate (ex. Surviving Spouse)
- Your Birth Certificate to show the relationship of the deceased. (ex. Surviving Children)
- Letter of Authority from the Probate Court naming you as personal representative of the estate of the deceased person.
Requests for medical records are usually processed within 7 – 10 business days of receipt, depending on the priority of the request. Records are sent free of charge when requested by a physician for medical follow-up care, or by a patient. Records requested for other reasons are subject to a processing fee.
You may request a copy of your medical record in person, mail, or fax to:
Lake Huron Medical Center
- Attn: Medical Records
- 2601 Electric Avenue
- Port Huron, MI 48060
- Fax: 810-216-3188
If you have questions regarding your request for a medical record, please call 810-216-1540.
Staff members are available to assist you weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Closed on weekends.